Technically Speaking – Presentation Skills for Engineering Professionals
When 03 Mar 2017, 8:30 AM
Duration One day
Cost $580 ex GST (IPENZ Members $500 ex GST)
Register for this event
The most brilliant idea or message is worth nothing at all if that message is not heard, understood and acted upon. Being able to present detailed information in a dynamic, inspiring and effective way is an essential component of a successful professional.
What do 75 per cent of professionals around the world rate as their number one fear? Public speaking.
This course is designed to prepare individuals working in technical careers for optimum effectiveness, whether communicating with colleagues or clients, or presenting at technical conferences and other public events. Participants will gain self-confidence as they master the art of relaxed, natural, impressive speaking in a variety of presentation situations.
Learn how to transform often “dry”, detail-focused technical information into a stimulating, high-impact professional presentation. Key skills will be explored and applied through exercises and “real-life” role plays.
Discover simple, powerful techniques to prepare and deliver winning presentations every time.
Content covered includes:
- Planning a presentation – The 4 Types of Technical Presentation – The Importance of Structure – A Sense of Purpose – In a Nutshell – What’s My Message?
- The power of examples and analogies – Facts and figures and when to use them – Knowing our three best stories – So what? Call for action
- Knowing your audience and selling an idea – Key tips and reminders – Allies or adversaries? – Creating audience involvement – Influencing skills
- Delivery skills: is enthusiasm professional? – Overcoming nerves, building rapport – Body language and vocal variety – Visual aids – PowerPoint, whiteboard skills – Staying focused and on time – Use of notes
- Brilliant, simple ways to make technical stuff interesting – Impromptu speaking – Handling awkward questions – Facilitating a discussion.
About the presenter
David Henton is the Director of Confident Communication Limited, based in Auckland, New Zealand. A civil engineer for many years, David arrived from Kenya as a senior geotechnical engineer in 1987. Since then he has worked for nearly three decades in the field of human communication, conflict resolution and personal motivation.
A recognised specialist in the field of human communication, David provides top-quality staff training to organisations throughout New Zealand and internationally.