Our roots go back over a century. We evolved from the first professional engineering body in New Zealand, set up in 1912 as the Institute of Local Government Engineers of New Zealand.
Engineers soon called for a wider ranging professional body and we formed in 1914 as the New Zealand Society of Civil Engineers.
We changed our name in 1937 and became the New Zealand Institution of Engineers in recognition of the variety of engineering disciplines our Members were involved in.
The range of specialisations has continued to expand and the present name, Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand (IPENZ), was adopted in 1982 to also reflect the importance of professional engineering standards. In 2006, we introduced our Māori name, Pūtahi Kaiwetepanga Ngaio o Aotearoa.
We celebrated our centenary in 2014.
Find out more
Past, Present and Future – A video celebrating the IPENZ Centenary
IPENZ Centenary Celebrations – Looking back, moving forward
Our past Presidents